Here in Manitoba, everyone needs to register their vehicles with Manitoba Public Insurance. Basic coverage on a vehicle includes a $500 deductible and $200,000 in liability coverage. But that doesn’t mean that you have to have the same insurance coverage as everyone else.
When you insure your car (or truck or spaceship), you’ll be able to choose from recreational insurance (for those who only drive once in a while) to all-purpose insurance (for those who drive to work / school). There’s even a commuters option, for the people who drive into a bigger city for work. We’ll help you get the right insurance for your driving habits.
saving on car insurance
Increases in car insurance rates are frustrating. We get it; they go up for us too! As more cars are on the road or if there are more accidents in a year, rates will end up going up to cover the costs of repairs.
Although we can’t make the overall car insurance rates go down, we can give you a few tips on how you can reduce what you pay for car insurance
If the basic car insurance isn’t enough (and sometimes it isn’t), you can add extra insurance coverage to your policy. Brio Insurance is able to offer very affordable extension coverage through Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance and MPI. Here are a few of the extension products you can purchase:
- Deductibles of $300, $200, or $100.
- Liability of $1, $2, $5, $7, or $10 million.
- Loss of use coverage – level one or two.
- New / leased protection for the first two years on brand-new vehicles and one year on vehicles that are one model year old.
- Increased max insured value (MPI will only pay up to $50,000 on a total loss. If your vehicle is worth more, you need to buy up the value).
- Income Replacement Indemnity (IRI) extension coverage.
MPI or SMI – What’s the difference?
MPI rates are based on the type of vehicle, vehicle use, and where you live, so you can end up paying more even though you have a spotless driving record. SMI only bases rates on your driving record, which means saving you money. SMI rates are especially competitive on rental car insurance and new car protection policies.