Home Insurance

Home Insurance

With home insurance, you’ll protect the financial security of your home from unexpected loss (like robbery or fire). Your home is a big investment, so you’ll want to get this before you move in. Over time, as you upgrade things in your home, you should circle back and double check that your current policy still covers you. If it doesn’t, it’s time for you to get in touch with Brio Insurance!


broad vs. Comprehensive coverage

There are many different types of insurance, two of which are broad and comprehensive coverage. Both of these policy types will protect your home from ‘all perils’, but they cover your personal property differently (your bed, clothing, dishes, etc.).

First, what counts in all perils? Well, all perils is (almost) anything bad that can happen to your home, whether it’s listed in your policy or not. The only exception is if something is listed as being excluded, like overland flooding.

  • Nature: fire, lightning, wind, or hail.
  • Manmade: vandalism, theft, or accidental damage.

A broad policy covers your house for all perils, but only covers your personal property for the losses listed in your policy.

A comprehensive policy, on the other hand, protects both your home and your personal property for all perils*. So if your house burned down in a fire, your house will be rebuilt and the contents of your house would be covered by insurance. Comprehensive house insurance also includes mysterious disappearance. We know your house isn’t likely to disappear, but if you lose the pretty stone in your engagement ring you can get it replaced.

This all can seem a little confusing, but we’ll help make sure you get the coverage that’s right for your lifestyle.

*A comprehensive home insurance policy does not provide coverage for flooding. You can purchase overland water coverage separately, but make sure to check the details when you do. There may be restrictions if you live in an area prone to flooding.