Recreational Vehicle & Trailer Insurance

Trailer Insurance

If you are towing a trailer behind your vehicle – whether it’s a boat, camper, or storage trailer – you need to register it with Manitoba Public Insurance. Our customer service representatives are here to help you with that, so you can hit the road ASAP.


Save on Trailer Insurance Costs with SMI 

Basic trailer coverage is usually a $500 deductible and $200,000 liability, (although some exceptions apply). Sometimes you need extra coverage and sometimes getting that extra coverage from Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance, you can save some money. Ask your Brio Insurance broker to see how much you can save.

Here are some extension products you may want to consider:

  • Collision coverage with a $100 or $200 deductible.
  • Comprehensive coverage with a $50 or $100 deductible.
  • Additional liability coverage of $1, $2, or $5 million.

Please note, if your camper trailer is blocked and skirted you’ll require a home insurance policy.

Trailer Tips

  • Before you take your trailer on the road, make sure you check your tires are not worn out or low. Also, make sure you have a spare tire (or two) for your trailer. It always makes us sad when we drive by a boat trailer left on the side of the road in the summertime with a flat tire. That’s a lot of money to leave stranded on the side of the road unattended.
  • If you need to park your trailer on the street, make sure you’re following your city’s parking laws. In Winnipeg, there is a one-hour time limit for parking a trailer on the street unless you have a temporary recreational vehicle permit. You can purchase those from the City of Winnipeg. If you don’t live in Winnipeg, please check your city’s by-laws before parking on the road.