First things first, make sure everything is in working order, including your heating and safety devices.
- Get a professional to inspect your furnace.
- Sweep the chimney.
- Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms.
Next, inspect your windows and doors for leaks. Sealing up leaks keeps the hot air in and the cold air out (and can save you some money too). To find and fix air leaks on your windows:
- Give your windows a little shake. If they rattle, the frames are not secure, which means heat can leak out and rain can seep in. To fix this, put some caulking and a few nails around the framing.
- Look deep; if you can see the outside from around – not just through – the window, you’ve got gaps. Seal air leaks by caulking and weather stripping around the frames.
- Inspect window panes for cracks.
Grab a ladder (and a spotter) and get up to your roof so you can:
- Clean out your gutters and make sure the water runs away from your house.
- Inspect the roof for lost or damaged shingles.
- Check to make sure there is a proper seal around vents and chimney areas.
Once you’re back on the ground, it’s time to clean up the yard.
- Seal joints between your driveway and garage grade beam to make sure water can’t sneak in underneath and cause your concrete to drop.
- Turn off your outdoor faucets, detach exterior hoses and drain them.
- Trim your bushes and trees away from your house and electrical wires.
- Ensure exposed pipes are insulated in unheated areas, including in kitchen and bathroom
cabinets, against exterior walls in garages, attics, crawl spaces or basements.
Before the season changes, now is the best time to revisit your cottage or home insurance policy to make sure you have protection for winter-related damage. If you haven’t had your home insurance reviewed in a while, get in touch with your nearest Brio Insurance branch and ask for a free coverage review. An annual review of your home insurance will give you peace of mind that you have all the coverage you need so you can sit warm & cozy in your home knowing you’re protected! To schedule your personal insurance review, submit a request today!