Insurance for a camper and other seasonal property

The sun is shining, the grass is green, and the streets are full of construction. Do you know what that means? It’s time to get out of the city and go camping! Before you pack up and hit the road, here’s what you need to know about adding insurance to your camper and other seasonal items.

Can you add a camper to a home insurance policy?

For a camper that you tow behind your vehicle or an RV you are driving, you cannot add it to your home insurance policy. Rather, they will need auto insurance coverage.

A camper trailer will have a $500 deductible from MPI, but you can choose to have a lower one with an SMI auto extension policy. How? Contact us and we’ll go over all the details and get you set up.

Adding a seasonal trailer to a home insurance policy

Camper trailerIf you have a seasonal trailer that is skirted and permanently at one location (aka you can’t move it or drive it off somewhere else), you can add it on most home insurance policies as a second location.

You’ll need to add the value of the trailer and any additions (like a deck, screened-in porch, detached shed, or outhouse) to the coverage value. Why? Most insurance companies offer actual cash value for replacement and a broad or named perils form, so you want to make sure the value of what you have is included in your policy. Also, coverage for damages caused by theft or bears isn’t always included in a policy and you may need to add it on (we can help with that!).

P.S. If your cabin or trailer is located outside of Manitoba, we can still provide insurance as long as your home insurance is with us.

Give us a shout for a quote

Like with any insurance, there are a lot of factors to consider in finding the right coverage for you. Get in touch with us anytime if you have questions or to get a personalized quote.